Re: Modelling "proper names", and other topics

From: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:39:04 +0000
To: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Cc: RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Seth,

I'll return to the rest of your message another time (I don't disagree with
much of what you say), but there's one point I'd like to respond to now:

At 11:56 AM 11/6/00 -0800, Seth Russell wrote:
>Graham Klyne wrote:
[...]
> > That said, I think the other approach (hanging off the propername
> > reification) is cleaner.
>
>I see no reason to reify here.

The reason is to distinguish between different _uses_ of a property:

   [SomeCity] --properName--> "Boston"

and

   [me] --properName--> "Graham"

are two different instances of "properName".  The only way I know in RDF to
distinguish them is through reification.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)