RE: More On the Semantic Web (or: is RDF any good?)

From: Gordon Joly <gordo@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:49:35 +0000 (GMT)
To: Matt Jensen <mattj@newsblip.com>
cc: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>, Craig Pugsley <craig.pugsley@mimesweeper.com>, "'www-rdf-interest@w3.org'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "'semantic-web@w3.org'" <semantic-web@w3.org>

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Matt Jensen wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, William Loughborough wrote:
>
> > Any idea why it can't be done this year?
>
> Well, I was trying to cover myself :-)  I'm imagining that first a group
> of technologists has to "agree" on some kind of standard, and then their
> work has to be adopted by a large enough group of webmasters for the whole
> thing to be "useful".

Too late for that. The web is now a commercial playground, not a
research "sandbox". All website built for commercial organisations and
many others (such http://www.bbc.co.uk/) are governed by people who
are not interested in creating shared space. They just want to keep
you in their domain or in the case of portals click through to
controlled set of websites.

> However, because the Web is described by Zipf's law [1], you might get
> good value out of convincing "only" the top 100 sites (in page views) to
> implement your semantic system.  Then a form of Metcalfe's law [2]
> applies, where other web sites have more and more reasons to join.
>

> -Matt Jensen
>  NewsBlip
>  Seattle
>
> ---
> [1] http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/wli/zipf/
> [2] http://www.mgt.smsu.edu/mgt487/mgtissue/newstrat/metcalfe.htm

Have you proved that the described by Zipf's law? With which
parameters?  Links? Pages? Pageviews?

Gordo.

--
Gordon Joly       http://www.pobox.com/~gordo/