Re: Anonymous resource names -versus- variables

From: <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 10:55:46 +0200
To: " - *www-rdf-interest@w3.org" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
On May 3 DanBri wrote:
> Specifically, I'm thinking of something like an implementors convention to
> use a certain subset of URIs when naming resources whose "proper" URI we
> don't know. This could be done in a number of ways: my preference is for a
> URI scheme such as "var:" whose IDs were either huge random numbers or
> generated from context. I call the scheme "var:" because these feel more
> like variables than identifiers. Which is both interesting and/or a bit of
> a hack, depending on your perspective.

We tried to use identifiers starting with var: for variables in our RDF
logic gates [1]. That means that RDF predicates, subjects and objects
can be unknowns at description time. The reason for variable predicates is
to have support for higher order logic and things like proof carrying stuff.

Jos De Roo --- AGFA

[1] ftp://windsor.agfa.be/outgoing/RCEI/NET/euler/index.html