RE: Anonymous resource names -versus- variables

From: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 22:28:37 +0100
To: Bill dehOra <Wdehora@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
At 05:19 PM 5/8/00 +0100, Bill dehOra wrote:
>This is compounded by the fact that the internet doesn't have a
>corresponding 'real world' for 'maps' to represent into.

I disagree with this on two counts:

1.  The statement implies that RDF exists to describe the Internet, in the
same way that maps describe the physical world.  I don't see this as the
case;  rather, the Internet is just part of the machinery.  I say that RDF
exists to describe "resources" (whatever they may be, but I think that one
could say that resources are made of information in a fashion analogous the
real-world objects being made of atoms).

2.  I believe there *is* a useful parallel to the 'real world' and
'maps'.  There is a universe of information spanned by RDF statements, and
there are documents containing representations of RDF statements that
(sometimes) relate some part of that universe to concepts that we humans
can reckon with.

That said, I can find resonance with your conclusion.  I guess we arrive by
different paths.  (But, hey, isn't that what RDF is meant to allow?)

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)