Conventions and top-level ontologies for RDF

From: Philippe Martin <Philippe.Martin@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:13:45 +0200
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
cc: Philippe.Martin@sophia.inria.fr

I pointed out at WWW9 developer's day that to aid metadata sharing
and reuse, a directory,
(such as http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/rdf-dev/roads/)
should also list top-level ontologies and
lexical/structural/syntaxic conventions.

As a step in that direction, I have published proposed conventions
plus a top-level ontology of 80 general classes (some derived from
the Frame ontology of Ontolingua) and 120 properties/relations, e.g.
logic, thematic, spatial, temporal, attributive and ordering relations.

See http://www.inria.fr/acacia/personnel/phmartin/RDF/proposals.html

For instance, I explain why actions should not be represented via
properties but only via resource classes, and I propose an extension
of Tim Berners-Lee's "forall" construct for universal quantification.

I hope this e-mail will initiate some discussions and further
suggestions to refine these conventions and top-level ontology.

Many thanks.

Philippe

Dr. Philippe Martin
Research Fellow at the CRC for Enterprise Distributed Systems Technology
                         (DSTC Pty Ltd;  DSTC is W3C's Australian Office)
Address: Griffith Uni, School of I.T., PMB 50 GCMC, QLD 9726 Australia
Email: philippe.martin@gu.edu.au