RE: assymetric reference of properties

From: Nancy E. Kent <rekent@ontologos.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2094 09:58:08 -0800
To: "Jeff Sussna" <jeff.sussna@quokka.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
I advocated something like this in my recent KAW'99 paper
"Conceptual Knowledge Markup Language: The Central Core"
http://sern.ucalgary.ca/ksi/kaw/kaw99/papers/Kent1/CKML.pdf.
The diagram on page two shows binary relation (property) types
and instances existing at the same level as entity types and
instances. There are great advantages, both theoretically and
practically, in this approach. For instance, as shown in the
paper, there is a straightforward and sound appraoch to extension
to higher types. See also the accompanying powerpoint slides
http://sern.ucalgary.ca/ksi/kaw/kaw99/papers/Kent1/CKML.ppt
where among other things the generic versus specific style of
coding/parsing is discussed.

Robert