URI equivalence, URI's for "standard" identifiers

From: Eric Hellman <eric@openly.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 01:10:23 -0500
To: RDF Interest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Forgive me if I've missed something obvious, but...

Is there any consensus in the RDF community about what URI's to use
for standard identifiers such as ISBN, ISSN, UPC codes, or for things
like Stock tickers, cusips, patent numbers? It's not like it would
take much effort.

Assuming the answer is "not yet", I'd like to suggest a rather
fundamental addition to RDF core properties. It seems to me that
everyone should at least agree how to say that two URI's refer to the
same thing.

In other word, we need a universal property to be able to make the
assertion that resource X is equivalent to resource Y. Something like:

   <?xml version='1.0'?>

   <rdf:Description ID="equivalent">
     <rdfs:comment>This property expresses the equivalence of 2

<rdf:Description about="http://linkbaton.com/get?genre=book&item=0062515861">

I hope the answer is something like "Working Group XYZ is working on this"

Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.
http://www.openly.com/           21st Century Information Infrastructure
LinkBaton: Your Shortcuts to Information  http://linkbaton.com/