Re: A certain difficulty

From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:07:19 -0800
To: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
Cc: xml-dev@xml.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Arjun Ray wrote:

> > RDF should be an "architecture" not a "framework".  RDF should
> > have a DTD
>
> Isn't the doctrine - think the right think - from 50000 ft to kill off
> DTDs?

One would have to wonder about the philosophy of any organization
which is trying to "kill off" a solution that's been working quite
well for a decade or so ... in evident favor of approaches which are
at best still in development and don't have anything like the same
degre of proof-in-practice.

Any "right think" shouldn't involve sticks (killing), but carrots.

Any "right think" needs to accept that the solution for one problem
may not be an appropriate solution for a different problem.

- Dave

p.s. My point doesn't relate to RDF or RDF DTDs at all.