Re: M&S/Parser question

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:41:09 +0200
To: caro@Adobe.COM
CC: RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
"Perry A. Caro" wrote:
> >From the RDFMS section 3.3, "aboutEach":
>
>     No explicit graph representation of distributive
>     referents is defined. Instead, in terms of the
>     statements made, distributive referents are expanded
>     into the individual statements about the individual
>     container members (internally, implementations are free
>     to retain information about the distributive referents
>     - in order to save space, for example - as long as any
>     querying functions work as if all of the statements
>     were made individually).
>
> The implication of section 3.3 and 3.4 is that aboutEach and aboutEachPrefix
> can only appear in "top-level" rdf:Description nodes, despite the more
> lenient interpretation that the formal grammar suggests.

I do not agree with your last statement :
RDFMS does not state (explicitely, at least) that the distributive referent should be *SYNTACTICALLY* expanded.

And by the way, it seems quite useful to allow statement distrivution in both directions...

  Pierre-Antoine Champin

--- Quid quid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
    Whatever is said in Latin sounds important.