Re: RDF API 1.0 Draft / algorithm for anonymous URIs

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@DB.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:36:02 -0800
To: Gabe Beged-Dov <begeddov@jfinity.com>
CC: RDF Interest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Gabe Beged-Dov wrote:

> Sergey Melnik wrote:
>
> > If say Y becomes an explicit name later on, the URI for Z remains
> > intact, but X changes. If X gets a name, both Y and Z remain intact.
>
> You and DanB have both mentioned noname resources turning into explicit resources
> but I don't see how this can happen at the model layer. This seems a much higher
> layer concept.  Am I missing something?

Well, it's just my lose formulation: "becomes an explicit name" means
the following:

Assume RDF content

<Book>
  <dc:Creator>
  </dc:Creator>
  <dc:Title>...</dc:Title>
</Book>

Both the instance of Book and of Person are anonymous resources.
Imagine, later on you figured out that the ISBN of the book is 12345. So
you modify you RDF content to:

<Book rdf:about="isbn:12345">
  <dc:Creator>
  </dc:Creator>
  <dc:Title>...</dc:Title>
</Book>

The previously mentioned algorithm, generates the same URI for the
Person is both cases. Even if you add additional statements about the
book and rotate the properties of the person

<Book rdf:about="isbn:12345">
  <dc:Publisher>...</dc:Publisher>
  <dc:Date>...</dc:Date>
  <dc:Creator>
  </dc:Creator>
  <dc:Title>...</dc:Title>
</Book>

you still get the same "anonymous" URI for the person due to the
properties of the algorithm.

Best,
Sergey