Re: RDF API 1.0 Draft / algorithm for anonymous URIs

Sergey Melnik wrote:

> Furthermore, why is it undesirable to query "open" models? Cannot we
> read from files open for writing?

My mental model would be a journaling file system where all versions of the file
are addressable. When you query, you are querying a particular version of the
model/file. In a journaledor versioned file the ID is based on a timeline while in
our discussions it is based on the content.  In either case, you can always use an
alias that gives you the "default" view of the file. This is also the case with
regular files which may often have different versions while in "open" mode with
the read going to a particular version.

I  think that updating of a model should be an explicit activity with distinct
boundaries.  Whether a model can be closed and reopened is a question of what
granularity you want versions of a model to be visible at.

We are talking about a raw model layer anyway though, and you could always layer
these kind of policy layers that have distinct modes and different interfaces for
different roles so I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

> If say Y becomes an explicit name later on, the URI for Z remains
> intact, but X changes. If X gets a name, both Y and Z remain intact.

You and DanB have both mentioned noname resources turning into explicit resources
but I don't see how this can happen at the model layer. This seems a much higher
layer concept.  Am I missing something?

As to your algorithm, I can't comment on it as I don't grok it yet  but since
youre in my web of algorithm trust, I'm not too worried :-)

Gabe