Re: ungetable http URIs

All of the URN's I've worked with except hash have had an authority
component, albeit not one that is rooted in DNS.  Further, any naming
system which is not prone to collisions and includes human readable
names must have an authority.  That is the basic triangle for naming
systems -- you can't define a system which has all three features
(globally non-colliding, human-readable, and authorityless) simultaneously.

Hammond, Tony (ELSLON) wrote:

>?!
>
>One of the prime qualities of 'urn' URIs are that they are
>location-independent, i.e. no authority component.
>
>	urn://www.mit.edu/simile....
>
>That doesn't work. URNs and FQDNs don't mix.
>
>Tony

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");