Re: DESIRE Project

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:58:06 +0100
To: "Butler, Mark" <Mark_Butler@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-rdf-dspace@w3.org

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:38:33 +0100
"Butler, Mark" <Mark_Butler@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have come across this page
> http://desire.ukoln.ac.uk/registry/
> as it is cited in Heery and Patels' paper "Application profiles: mixing and
> matching metadata schemas" in Ariadne. I am interested in this area because
> I am working on a project with similar aims called SIMILE, see
> http://web.mit.edu/simile
>
> Are there any other resources available about this project?  What is the
> current status of the project?
>
> Also the web page
> http://www.schemas-forum.org/
> cited on the DESIRE page does not work - is this work still continuing and
> if so do you have a URL?

The DESIRE and schemas forum work led into registries in various places.

The Dublin Core metadata initiative made one and in the UK I worked
on one with UKOLN for the MEG project:
  http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/education/registry/

This is a pure RDF & HTTP REST based design and consists of an open
source Java client to make the schema using user-concepts and a simple
open source registry in Perl that uses my RDF Redland system as the
backend.

This was extended by the CORES project to make an enhanced
registry: http://www.cores-eu.net/registry/
See that site for detailed documentation.

The CORES and MEG projects have finished but we are looking
at other funding opportunities.

Dave