Re: ungetable http URIs

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Kevin Smathers wrote:

> An OCW course lists the contributors to that course; gettable or
> ungettable.  Your argument doesn't provide any advice -- it depends on
> what you mean by a contributor, a real person, or a proxy for that
> person.

Records/proxys don't contribute to courses, people do.  If we have a
statement that says "X dc:contributor Y", then "Y" is a URI that _names_
that person.  Statments like "Y vc:FN 'Nick'" then are easily
interpretable: 'that which has the URI name Y has the Vcard first name
'Nick'"

If we want to create a name for the name, we can do this, but I think this
is really only useful for the database administrator. The typical
researcher wants to find information about the materials, not about the
database.  The database administrator might want to make statements like
"that record has an incorrect title" or "these two records refer to the
same person", but I don't see why the administrator would want to enter
that information in the database, rather than just fix it.

> I propose that the databases we have in hand always reference proxies,
> not real things.

I disagree.  I would say that in databases what we have in hand are simply
references to real things.

Regards,

Nick