RE: Staged demonstrators

In talking with Mark, I understand there are two things being illustrated:
firstly, showing the area that SIMILE is addressing and secondly exploring
the architectural and engineering issues that arise.

Porting the OCLC demo (stage 1 below) is fine for the first.  For the
second, we already have inferencing and query blocks so the architectural
exploration would just as easily be done in the context of stage 2 and fits
better with the planning we did at the plenary.  The first stage may be just
extra work.  Stage 2 woudl use the mapping rules we discussed as one of the
four items needed for introducing a new schema (schema itself, mapping
rules, display description and editing description (inc application
profile?)).

Then we could make the UI (the custom code in the second diagram) a separate
web service and use a network API to make queries (i.e. Joseki).
Presumably, this is the point Haystack would interface to the metadata side
of SIMILE.

The next step would to refine / refactor this to use schemas or ontologies
to map between different vocabularies, and use a query processor (RDQL) to
query the persistant store. This is shown in the diagram below:

Minor point: RDQL would be the query language, on top of the query processor
and inference modules in diagram 2.  The Jena interface to persistent stores
isn't RDQL itself but is a lower-level conjunctive set of triple patterns.

- if so, does the team thing it is a worthwhile exercise to try to put a
very limited prototype as described in the first diagram, say over the next
month?

Yes - for showing the area SIMILE is operating in.

    Andy