Comment on RDF Model Theory

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:49:11 +0100
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, "Turner, David" <davidt@hp.com>

We suggest that the following text is in error:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-mt-20040210/#DTYPEINTERP
[[
If D is a datatype map, a D-interpretation of a vocabulary V is any
rdfs-interpretation I of V union {aaa: < aaa, x > in D for some x }
which satisfies the following extra conditions for every pair < aaa, x >
in D:
]]

we suggest that this text is better:
[[
If D is a datatype map, a D-interpretation of a vocabulary V is any
rdfs-interpretation I of V union {aaa: < aaa, x > in D for some x }
union { "sss"^^aaa : < aaa, x > in D for some x and "sss" in the lexical
space of x }
which satisfies the following extra conditions for every pair < aaa, x >
in D:
]]

This is motivated so that the D-entailments recorded in RDF Test Cases
do in fact hold.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-testcases-20040210/#tc_cert
e.g.
tests
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/datatypes/Manifest.rdf#semantic-equivalence-within-type-1
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/datatypes/Manifest.rdf#semantic-equivalence-within-type-2

involving files
datatypes/test003a.nt
and
datatypes/test003b.nt

With the currently worded RDF Semantics these entailments do not hold.

Given that the spec is no longer in active development, we would be
happy with a note in the erratum document to this effect, for formal
consideration when this specification is next reviewed by a working group.

Jeremy Carroll
David Turner

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited