Re: Use cases for relative URIs as namespace names

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:32:44 -0500
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org, 'www-tag@w3.org' <www-tag@w3.org>

At 12:06 PM -0500 1/31/04, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

>  followed by a URI-encoding of the XML for  "What is cost of part number 4?"
>	http://example.com/customer?<query

I don't see why in this use case the query namespace must be related
to the actual host name. Why not use

regardless of the host name? The existing scheme seems quite fragile.
Does the query fail if I access the database via literal IP address
instead of host name? Or if I use an alias?

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)