Re: minimizing the textual changes to RDF semantics

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Subject: minimizing the textual changes to RDF semantics
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:08:26 -0600

> In order to bring down the temperature, allow me to modify my
> suggested changes to the PR document. The result should be exactly
> similar to the semantics described in 2004a, but with less change to
> the actual PR text, and is visible at
>
> http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/RDF_Semantics_2004b.html
>
> see especially
>
> http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/RDF_Semantics_2004b.html#defDinterp
>
> Just to clarify: my current proposal is a minimal revision of the
> wording and style of presentation of section 5.1, in partial response
> to criticisms from Herman, but does not change the actual semantics,
> textual changes minimal in order to avoid as much controversy as
> possible at this stage.

Well, I believe that the semantics ARE changed by these changes.  In
particular, the vocabulary of a D-interpretation would be required to
include the URIs of all datatype names in D.  Similarly the dropping of the
requirement that the value space of a datatype be a subset of LV is a
change to the semantics.  Whether these changes are a good idea or even
whether they change any D-entailments is a separate issue.

> Brian, please use this as my suggested change to submit to the WG.

[...]

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research