[closed] Re: Resolution of Relative URI References (test case xmlbase/test012.rdf)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Carlos Viegas Damásio wrote:

> Dear editors,
>
> In the current draft of RFC-2396bis the resolution of relative
> references handles
> the abnormal examples differently.
>
> I quote the following from the abnormal examples section in RFC 2396
> bis:
>
>    Parsers must be careful in handling the case where there are more
>    relative path ".." segments than there are hierarchical levels in the
>    base URI's path.  Note that the ".." syntax cannot be used to change
>    the authority component of a URI.
>
>       "../../../g"    =  "http://a/g"
>       "../../../../g" =  "http://a/g"
>
> which is different from RFC 2396:
>
>    Parsers must be careful in handling the case where there are more
>    relative path ".." segments than there are hierarchical levels in the
>    base URI's path.  Note that the ".." syntax cannot be used to change
>    the authority component of a URI.
>
>       ../../../g    =  http://a/../g
>       ../../../../g =  http://a/../../g
>
> This affects test case xmlbase/test012.rdf. Which one should be
> followed?

Thank you for pointing out this proposed change to RFC 2396 which we had
been unaware of.

RDFCore have resolved to remove this test case.

RDFCore would advise implementors that consume RDF that the RDFCore
specs are based on RFC 2396, a strict interpretation of which states
that URI's with too many ".."'s in their path are an error, though many
URI implementations correct that error and RFC 2396bis proposes to
require that correction.

RDFCore advises implementors and content creators that produce RDF that
creating URI's with too many ".."'s in their path is inadvisable and may
lead to interoperability problems.