Re: XML literals, canonical form, and normal form C problem

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:04:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org, dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk

From: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: RE: XML literals, canonical form, and normal form C problem
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:55:17 +0200

[...]

> Peter:
> > As there are no proposed changes to the syntax document, this response is
> > incomplete.
> >

> The proposed changes are:
>

> 1) adding:
>   [[
>    This string x MUST be in Unicode[UNICODE] NFC [NFC]"
>   ]]
> for XML literals at
>    7.2.17
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#parseTypeLiteralPropertyElt
>
> 2) modifying
>

> > http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#literalPropertyElt
> >
> > to replace
> > [[
> >
> > If the rdf:datatype attribute d is given then o :=
> typed-literal(literal-value
> > := t.string-value, literal-datatype := d.string-value) otherwise
> > t.string-value MUST be a Unicode[UNICODE] string in Normal Form C[NFC], o
> :=
> > literal(literal-value := t.string-value, literal-language := e.language)
> and
> > the
> > ]]
> >
> > with
> > [[
> > The Unicode [UNICODE] string t.string-value MUST be in Normal Form C[NFC].
> > If the rdf:datatype attribute d is given then o :=
> typed-literal(literal-value
> > := t.string-value, literal-datatype := d.string-value), otherwise o :=
> > literal(literal-value := t.string-value, literal-language := e.language).
> The
> > ..
> > ]]
>

> property attributes are adequately dealt with in
>   7.2.11 http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#nodeElement
>   7.2.21 http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#emptyPropertyElt
>

> Are we any closer to knowing whether these responses are satisfactory or
> not?
>
> See you,
>
> Jeremy

I believe that this response does not adequately address the issue as it
does not address the case of typed literals in Production 7.2.16.  (Untyped
literals are handled correctly in this production.)

I think that there needs to be some text somewhere in the RDF documents
indicating which portions of an RDF/XML document must be in Normal Form C.
I believe that it is possible to have a valid RDF/XML document which when
interpreted as a Unicode string is not in Normal Form C.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider