Re: support XML Literals in RDF

At 05:27 08/08/03 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> > > Although any RDF-only application, i.e., an application that *only*
> > > needs to determine the RDF implications of an RDF graph, does not need
> > > any special code to support XML Literals beyond the code needed to
> > > support sequences of octets, an RDF application that goes beyond these
> > > implications, for example to determine whether a literal is in LV, will
> > > need considerable code to support XML Literals.
>
>I was wrong.
>
>Even rdf-entailment requires access to an oracle to determine whether an
>octet-sequence is in canonical form.  Rule rdf2 requires access to such an
>oracle.

I don't think that anyone has claimed this is not the case ... my
understanding has always been that a C14N oracle or something is needed to
do *full* RDF entailment.  But for many useful applications that use RDF,
such full entailment may not be required.

#g

Graham Klyne  <GK@NineByNine.net>
Nine by Nine
http://www.ninebynine.net/