re: status of rdf, rdfs, and owl ``namespace files''

From: Efthymiou, Nick <Nick.Efthymiou@schwab.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:06:11 -0700
To: "'www-rdf-comments@w3.org'" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "'pfps@research.bell-labs.com'" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

In my opinion, this topic is related to the 3rd Note in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20030123/#section-Namespace

Following the principles laid out by TBL in
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html
and http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Axioms.html (Cool URIs don't change),
the w3c SHOULD provide a new URI to replace
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# ,
possibly a mnemonically similar one, say
http://www.w3.org/2003/22-rdf-syntax-ns# ,
and the "namespace document" at the replacement URI should contain the
updates
noted under the 2nd Note of
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20030123/#section-Namespace
,
namely the addition of List, first, rest, nil, nodeID, XMLLiteral and
datatype.

This will (1) allow users and tool evaluators to discern whether a RDF tool
implements
the semantics of 1999 RDF or whether it implements the semantics of RDF /
RDFS
as extended to support OWL and
(2) allow tool implementors to use a conforming source document (namely the
namespace document posted by the w3c) to build conforming tools.

Just my two cents.

- Nick -