re: status of rdf, rdfs, and owl ``namespace files''

From: Efthymiou, Nick <Nick.Efthymiou@schwab.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:06:11 -0700
To: "'www-rdf-comments@w3.org'" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "'pfps@research.bell-labs.com'" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

In my opinion, this topic is related to the 3rd Note in

Following the principles laid out by TBL in
and http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Axioms.html (Cool URIs don't change),
the w3c SHOULD provide a new URI to replace
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# ,
possibly a mnemonically similar one, say
http://www.w3.org/2003/22-rdf-syntax-ns# ,
and the "namespace document" at the replacement URI should contain the
noted under the 2nd Note of
namely the addition of List, first, rest, nil, nodeID, XMLLiteral and

This will (1) allow users and tool evaluators to discern whether a RDF tool
the semantics of 1999 RDF or whether it implements the semantics of RDF /
as extended to support OWL and
(2) allow tool implementors to use a conforming source document (namely the
namespace document posted by the w3c) to build conforming tools.

Just my two cents.

- Nick -