Re: Clarifications needed for the Collection construct (with CR)

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:53:42 +0000
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: "Karsten Tolle" <tolle@dbis.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>, <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

At 05:43 PM 2/21/03 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>>Would it not make more
>>sense to enter a rdf:Bag instead? But there is also another question: Do we
>>need the collection construct at all?
>
>It was specifically requested by the Webont working group, as a necessary
>requirement for OWL. So the answer is yes.

I have also found in my own use of RDF that it is sometimes important to
have a collection construct that is "closed";  i.e. to which no new
elements can be added through RDF graph merging.  Not having this would
make it impossible (I think) to express certain things without violating
the basic RDF semantics.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>