Re: [RDF-concepts:113-Various] Re: Social Meaning and RDF

Peter,

At 01:53 PM 2/19/03 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> > (b) If so, does any such meaning affect the behaviour of an RDF
> application?
>
>See above.
>
> > My answer here is an emphatic "no".  RDF does not require or expect that
> > RDF applications have awareness of any social meaning that may be conveyed
> > by RDF content.
>
>I don't understand this reasoning.  If social meaning has importance to
>RDF, then RDF applications will have to be cognizant of the entirety of
>social meaning to avoid legal problems.

I just re-read your comment, and noticed:  "If social meaning has importance to
RDF ...".  I think that's not what we're trying to say;  rather:
(a) RDF can have importance for social meaning, and
(b) RDF can convey propositions that are opaque to RDF, but may be
interpreted socially.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>