RE: What is an RDF datatype?

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:59:09 +0100
To: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

Peter:
> So what happened to the XML Schema datatype facets?  Are they
> part of RDF datatypes?

Patrick:
> Facets are not part of RDF Datatypes. I made recommendations to the
> editors earlier to adjust the wording

IMO, basically Patrick is right here.
I suggest we assign an issue against RDF Concepts on this one. The other
documents may need checking. It is IMO 'editorial'.

However, we need to be careful to not suggest that xsd:int for example does
not have facets. It does; it is simply that they do not play a visible role
in RDF's use of the datatype.

They do interact with the crucial lexical-to-value mapping, so they are
relevant to implementors of xml schema datatypes, and also to how RDF
semantics works. Crucially, if we have a derived XML Schema datatype then
certain semantics properties, of RDF documents using such a datatype, hold
depending on the value of the facets.

Jeremy