Re: review of LCC documents as of 26 December 2002

At 10:03 02/01/2003 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

[...]

>However, they should at least help comprehension of RDF and RDFS, or,
>maybe, not harm such comprehension.  I believe that the above paragraph
>firmly sits in the category of paragraphs that will end up harming the
>comprehension of RDF and RDFS.

Let me try a rewording that might deal with your objectsions.

[[RDF's vocabulary description language, RDF Schema, is an extension of
RDF. All RDF Schema vocabularies share some basic common structure: they
describe resources, classes of resources and relationships. This
commonality allows for a finer grained mixing of machine-processable
vocabularies, and addresses the need [EXTWEB] to create metadata in which
statements can draw upon multiple vocabularies that are managed in a
decentralized fashion by independent communities.  RDF Schema uses a
semantic extension of RDF to provide an ability to describe classes or
resources and relationships.]]

If that doesn't work, would you like to suggest an alternative.

[...]

>Well, I sure read it that the ``defined by the tax office'' meant ``defined
>by the tax office', not ``having a "defined" property whose value is "tax
>office"''.  I consider these two senses of property to be very different.

Right, and the text can be read either way and both readings are true.

[...]

> > Would marking the section as informative rather than normative help?
>
>Perhaps.  I would have to revisit this issue in the context of the entire
>document.

Fair enough.  I think it should be so marked and have done so in the latest
version.  I think I'd prefer that section to be in the primer.  It is
actually covered in the primer, so maybe could be eliminated from
here.  I'll add note to consider deletion.

Brian