Re: problem with blank node identifiers and rdf:nodeID

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 13:44:03 +0000
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>>>"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" said:
>
> It appears to me that the use of rdf:nodeID makes it impossible to
> correctly transform an RDF/XML document into n-triples without first
> checking for all the rdf:nodeID uses in the document.  Otherwise a
> generated blank node id could accidentally be the same as one used (later)
> in an rdf:nodeID in the document.

It does not make it impossible; you could prefix all rdf:nodeID
identifiers with some prefix in N-Triples, or vice versa, or both,
with two prefixes.  However, it isn't clear that this is allowed, so
I'll consider how to improve that.  I wouldn't impose such a check
on parsers.

In particular, the current document implies that the rdf:nodeID
attribute values are the same as those used in the N-Triples.  This
is convienient but not required.  Explaining the two sets of (blank
node) identifiers in the two syntaxes and the blank noed identifiers
in the graph will have to be done carefully.

Dave