Re: Comment on RDF/XML Syntax Spec Revised Dated 8 Nov 2002

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:19:31 +0000
To: MDaconta@aol.com
cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>>>MDaconta@aol.com said:
> Hi RDF WG,
>
> I noticed that the new rdf:datatype property is distinct from
> rdfs:DataType.  This can lead to confusion and potential errors.
> Can you deconflict these names by more than just capitalization?

rdf:datatype is not a property, it is part of the RDF/XML syntax and
when used as an attribute on a property element allows you to set the
datatype URI for the enclosed literal.  These are used when you want
to declare RDF Typed Literals.

rdfs:Datatype is an rdfs:Class and would tend to be (I guess) used in
different documents from where instance data using rdf:datatype might
be seen.

The conventions we're using here are following those that already are
used - lowercase for properties, leading uppercase for classes.  We
tried other names but would need complelling better suggestions if we
changed them.

Dave