Re: RDF in XHTML

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:05:24 -0500
To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>Dave Beckett wrote:
>>What?  I've just noticed rdf:ID inside the XHTML bit.  That's not
>>going to be noticed by an RDF parser.  It only deals with
>><rdf:RDF> <rdf:RDF/> blocks.
>
>That should not be.
>
>>We haven't spent a lot of time considering mixing these things like
>>this.  Sounds more like a web architecture issue.  For the TAG.  Ha ha.
>
>When you embed XHTML in SVG, you don't wrap the whole fragment in an
>you'll see that you seldom include the root element. (Schema in WSDL
>is an exception, and does it as RDF does, but HTML in WSDL does not.
>
>The RDF specification should say specifically what an RDF processor
>is looking for in a non-RDF document.

I don't think that requirement makes sense.  It would be dangerous to
tell any RDF engine to draw any conclusions from embedded RDF, since
the surrounding context might change the intended meaning.

>I would propose that an rdf:Description should be a proper root for
>an RDF fragment. Similarly, a fragment rooted in rdf:About or rdf:ID
>should be interpreted as an abbreviated rdf:Description.
>
>I don't think it needs to be handled by the TAG. Other "how do I
>embed X" issues are figured out just by the people defining the
>languages.

But RDF (and the languages built on it) is more than just a markup
convention: it is supposed to be expressing propositional content to
be used by mechanical inference processes. I don't think that these
conventions are going to be able to handle the issues that arise here.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam