Re: The first sentence

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:49:28 +0000
To: seth@robustai.net, "www-rdf-comments@w3.org" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

Hi Seth,

At 06:29 28/10/2002 -0800, Seth Russell wrote:

>re: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0402.html
>
>where Brian suggests:
>
>[[The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for representing
>information in the Web.]]
>
>What is "the Web" ?  If we use RDF to transfer informatin from one p2p
>node to another, is that information "in the Web" ?
>
>If we use RDF to transfer information in emails, is that "in the Web" ?
>
>How about the following sentence instead:
>
>The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for representing
>information on the Internet.

I agree with you mostly, except that we are a W3C WG which means we propose
recommendations for the web.  If folks want to use them elsewhere, then
that is great, my joy is unbounded.  But I have a niggling concern that if
we were to adopt your formulation, then some ietf folks might get a bit
miffed because W3C were setting out to define internet standards.  Our
design centre is the web.