#ThisGraph

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:21:44 -0800
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: fmanola@mitre.org, "www-rdf-comments@w3.org" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>, "Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com" <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>

pat hayes wrote:

> If we have ways of stating the boundaries of
> documents/databases/whatever, and of referring to them (perhaps
> implicitly) and saying explicitly that something follows from this
> bounded thingie alone, then we could say a lot of things that we are
> unable to say right now. And it wouldn't be rocket science to provide
> for saying things like this. No argument there.

Well why can't we just do that?   Why not standardize on a URI for the
abstract graph represented by the document at <foo>?   It could always
be <foo#ThisGraph>.   The RDF MT could give us the entailment:

   <foo#ThisGraph> representedBy <foo>

The "#ThisGraph" would be a syntactic constant in RDF just like
'rdf:about'.   This would go along with TimBl's conception that URIREF's
with fragments denote abastract things in RDF while URI's without
fragments denote documents.  I think N3 already has something like this.

.... just a Sunday morning though

Seth Russell
http://radio.weblogs.com/0113759/