Re: "Including" other RDF and RDFS files

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:10:14 -0500
To: mbatsis@netsmart.gr
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>On Saturday 28 September 2002 04:46, Brian McBride wrote:
>>  At 20:26 09/09/2002 -0700, Graham Wideman wrote:
>>  [...]
>>  >Is there, for example, some convention whereby a block of RDF can say
>>  >"This block of RDF abides by the RDFS schema to be found here", in the
>>  >same fashion that an ordinary XML file can specify a DTD by which it
>>  > abides?
>>  Graham,
>>  Have a look at isDefinedBy and seeAlso and see if they meet your needs.
>AFAIK the above properties are mostly for human consumption, although the
>first one implies some authority.
>It would be grate if we had a property with consistent meaning, as in "this
>resource completes the graph, providing metadata about the subject".

The trouble with this is that there is no such thing as 'completing'
a graph. The aim of RDF is to provide a notation in which information
from many sources can be combined together, so the 'closed-world'
kind of picture where graphs have boundaries defined by other graphs
really does not fit very well.

Pat Hayes
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell