Re: "Including" other RDF and RDFS files

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 10:05:37 -0700
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: Graham Wideman <grahampub@wideman-one.com>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org

Brian McBride wrote:

> At 20:26 09/09/2002 -0700, Graham Wideman wrote:
> [...]
>> Is there, for example, some convention whereby a block of RDF can say
>> "This block of RDF abides by the RDFS schema to be found here", in
>> the same fashion that an ordinary XML file can specify a DTD by which
>> it abides?
> Graham,
> Have a look at isDefinedBy and seeAlso and see if they meet your needs.

"isDefinedBy" is too praticular, the rdfs definition of it is "Indicates
a resource containing and defining the subject resource."  - note this
means that the designated resource must define the thing.  In practice
this has been used to relate a resource to the schema in which it is
defined.    "seeAlso"  is too general, the rdfs definition of it
is "Indicates a resource that provides information about the subject
resource."  - note it is what  we want but is not necessarily a block of
RDF.  In practice this has been used  to designate *both* web pages that
just talks about something in natural language and blocks of RDF.  A
good example of this multiple usage (hense the ambiguity of seeAlso) is
Dan Brickley's scutter file [1].

What we need is "rdfs:semref"  which would be a rdfs:subPropertyOf
rdfs:seeAlso and be defined something like "Indicates a resource that
provides information related to the subject resource and is of format
RDF/XML ."   This would be a very useful tool to point to blocks of
RDF/XML for whatever purpose.   I think it  would almost be as useful
as  <a href> was to point out other blocks of HTML .... and remember how
useful that was to the WWW.

Thanks Grahm for bring this up ... I was beginning to think I was the
only one who missed it.

Seth Russell