RE: Comments on the new RDF Test Cases draft

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:56:42 +0100
To: Massimo Marchiori <massimo@w3.org>, cmjg@engarde.ioctl.org, phayes@ai.uwf.edu, www-rdf-comments@w3.org
Cc: massimo@w3.org
At 09:58 22/05/2002 -0400, Massimo Marchiori wrote:
[...]

>So bare-bones, suppose an RDF parser digests one of the test cases, and
>produces
>all the triples we expect to (as per the "minimal interpretation" currently
>understood in the Test Cases), plus the following triple:
>[rdf:type] [rdf:type] [rdf:Property] .
>Is it compliant to RDF, or not?

No.

>The set of triples that have been produced are virtually indistinguishable
>according to the Model Theory (which is the *meaning* of a graph,
>independently
>of its syntax).
>So, if we limit ourselves to the current Test Cases interpretation, we are
>relying on the syntactical structure rather than on the semantical one,
>which is something I find very unelegant, and to some extent even
>logically broken.
>Said this, yes, this is opinionable and no one (included me) will scream loud
>if the "syntactical equivalence" is used rather than the semantical one.
>However, I do think it's more elegant to go the semantic way, and can't really
>see many advantages to go for the syntactic way.

We are close to last call now, and have picked our course.  The parser test
cases define the transformation from RDF/XML to an equivalent graph
described in n-triples, where equivalence is a syntactic equivalence.  That
is unlikely to change unless we see some specific problems with this
approach.  I take from what you write above, that whilst you prefer tests
based on semantic equivalence, you are willing to accept test cases based
on syntactic equivalence.