Re: rdfs-isDefinedBy-semantics

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Brian McBride wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> Thank you for the comments.
>
> At 13:37 08/12/2001 +0000, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > From my experience with CWM [8], it is evident that identifying the
> >format of the object of an isDefinedBy arc may be a useful approach to
> >take.
>
> Hmmm, do you consider that the resource that is the object of the
> isDefinedBy statement names the schema, or a specific representation of the
> schema.  I wonder what use can be made of content negotiation here, e.g.
> GET http//example/foobar-schema in n-triples format please.

Yes, interesting question. Arises with rdfs:seeAlso too, though not just
format in that case, since you often want to say more about that which is
pointed to.

My inclination is to use separate properties, rather than create
subproperties of seeAlso and isDefinedBy:

  <seeAlso>
    <Bibliography rdf:about="..."/>
  </seeAlso>

and
  <isDefinedBy>
    <rdfs:Resource rdf:about="..." dc:format="text/ntriples"/>
  </isDefinedBy>

...though the point about content negotiation suggests that we'd want to
be careful in the latter case.

Dan