RDF statements 'about=' <URI-reference>?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:39:34 +0100
To: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>, CC/PP WG list <w3c-ccpp-wg@w3.org>
Folks,

I've just noticed that the RDF M&S document section 2.2.1, production [4],
allows an RDF statement to have a URI-reference in an 'about=' clause.  The
text three paragraphs below talks about a 'subcomponent' of a resource in
relation to fragment identifiers in 'about='.

I believe this could be in conflict with the formal model, which states
that the subject of an RDF statement is a _resource_.

 From RFC 2396:

          The resource is the conceptual mapping to an entity or set of
          entities,

a fragment identifier has meaning only in conjunction with some specific
_entity_ associated with a resource (a MIME type is needed for it to be
interpreted).  I'm not sure what a 'subcomponent' of a resource can be
taken to mean.

#g
Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)