RE: [Ietf-calsify] Re: Google Speculation, but interesting

From: Cyrus Daboo <daboo@isamet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:36:37 -0500
To: Cameron Stillion <camerost@exchange.microsoft.com>, pregen@egenconsulting.com, Robert_Ransdell@notesdev.ibm.com
cc: Calsify <ietf-calsify@osafoundation.org>, www-rdf-calendar@w3.org

Hi Cameron,

--On February 26, 2005 11:18:05 PM -0800 Cameron Stillion
<camerost@exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The behavior I have seen in the latest Apple iCal (the product) with
> regard to timezones is that they are NOT defined in VTIMEZONE blocks,
> but are named in VEVENTS.  The names seem to match the OSX naming
> comventions for Time Zones, and notably do not match the Windows names.
> Since they aren't formally defined, it's difficult to map them.  We are
> forced to have an internal list of Apple names for the sole purpose of
> interoping.  (grumble grumble)

Right - I just did a test and indeed if you create a new calendar and add a
single event with a timezone, it does not include the VTIMEZONE in the ics
file it creates in its own calendar store. However, if you 'Export' the
calendar from the iCal.app, then it does include a VTIMEZONE. The VTIMEZONE
appears to be correct, but contains only the minimum amount of information
to cover the time for the event. Arguably this is not a bug as it is free
to do whatever it wants in its own calendar store.

WRT naming of timezones on different OS's - hopefully with a standardised
timezone registry we can solve that issue and also remove the need to
always send the VTIMEZONE data by value (as opposed to by reference to the
registry entry).

Cyrus Daboo