RE: [Ietf-calsify] Re: Google Speculation, but interesting

From: Cyrus Daboo <daboo@isamet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:36:37 -0500
To: Cameron Stillion <camerost@exchange.microsoft.com>, pregen@egenconsulting.com, Robert_Ransdell@notesdev.ibm.com
cc: Calsify <ietf-calsify@osafoundation.org>, www-rdf-calendar@w3.org

Hi Cameron,

--On February 26, 2005 11:18:05 PM -0800 Cameron Stillion
<camerost@exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The behavior I have seen in the latest Apple iCal (the product) with
> regard to timezones is that they are NOT defined in VTIMEZONE blocks,
> but are named in VEVENTS.  The names seem to match the OSX naming
> comventions for Time Zones, and notably do not match the Windows names.
> Since they aren't formally defined, it's difficult to map them.  We are
> forced to have an internal list of Apple names for the sole purpose of
> interoping.  (grumble grumble)

Right - I just did a test and indeed if you create a new calendar and add a
single event with a timezone, it does not include the VTIMEZONE in the ics
file it creates in its own calendar store. However, if you 'Export' the
calendar from the iCal.app, then it does include a VTIMEZONE. The VTIMEZONE
appears to be correct, but contains only the minimum amount of information
to cover the time for the event. Arguably this is not a bug as it is free
to do whatever it wants in its own calendar store.

WRT naming of timezones on different OS's - hopefully with a standardised
timezone registry we can solve that issue and also remove the need to
always send the VTIMEZONE data by value (as opposed to by reference to the
registry entry).

--
Cyrus Daboo