Re: formatting calendars for display

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 23:14:32 -0500
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: www-rdf-calendar@w3.org, David Dorward <david@us-lot.org>, Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 20:33, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> The difficulty which phpicalendar has and any other solution would have
> is the function which takes a local time and a timezone name like
> America/New_York and
> generates from it the time in Z.

Hmm... ical files aren't allowed to use names like
that without spelling out what they mean.

> Do you have that in python?

No... I have parts of it worked out in N3:
  http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/tzrules.n3

I think there's a Net::ICal module for python.
And there's libical in C (I found some evidence
of python bindings to that via google).

> There also seemed to be a difference between iCalendar from evolution
> and from iCal,
> in that evolution writes the timezone definition in the calendar file,
> the latter just uses a name.

Yeah; the latter is broken.

sigh... we had bookmarked a message from Bruce Kahan
confirming that these files were buggy, but imc.org's
archive doesn't seem to stand still.
http://esw.w3.org/topic/CalendarUserAgents
 ->
http://rdfig.xmlhack.com/2003/02/14/2003-02-14.html#1045239798.103267