Project : CAP Server

From: Benjamin Sonntag <benjamin@opencap.org>
Date: 15 Jan 2003 17:51:58 +0100
To: www-rdf-calendar@w3.org

Hi all,

Just some news :

I will be with you this evening at the rdf chat.

My name is Benjamin Sonntag, I'm currently developping a CAP Server.

Cap is a new protocol based on text/calendar data to exchange calendar /
scheduling information between servers and between client and server.
( http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/calsch-charter.html )

There is currently no serious opensource calendar server (e.g. the
equivalent is 'apache' for 'web server' and 'sendmail and others' for
'mail server'... ) based on serious open protocol :)

Some great softwares exists : phpgroupware, mozilla calendar, korganizer
... but they don't know how to use a calendar server with a common
calendar protocol (there is an obvious reason for that : there is no
open calendar access protocol yet !)

My project (named opencap) is to create such opensource software. The
problem is :

1. Everybody wants such a server :)
2. Nobody wants to developp it :(
3. The CAP protocol has changed A LOT in 2002, and my project has gone
to trash... (I lose 4000+ lines of code due to protocol changes...)

As a result...

1. Some parts of Opencap are currently on hold, waiting for a STABLE cap
draft :) from the IETF group.
2. Opencap is developped by 2 persons (me and a friend of
mine, involved in X.509 managment in France)
3. Opencap is based on Libical, (among other) a library to manage
text/calendar data, and RoadRunner (a tcp beep implementation)
4. Opencap will be based on a RDMS, postfix is the one I am using since
it can deal with transactions... a MySQL implementation may be
developped later since mysql can (more or less) deal with transactions

My wish is to exchange knowledge/information with other opensource
communities involved in calendar managment, to prevent the birth of many
C CAP projects at the same time, and to build the best possible server
system. Client library should then be used by calendar sensitive
projects (ooo, moz, korg, php)

(The (final and personnal) aim is to create an opensource replacement
for Microsoft Exchange Server.)

See you this afternoon (7pm Paris time; noon at Chicago) at the rdf

Benjamin Sonntag