RE: Renaming an element - getting a value without tags

To copy the text node children of <old>, use $value/text()

To copy all the children of <old>, including comments and PIs, use
$value/node()

To copy the typed value of <old>, use data($value)

If the content of your element is a simple string these will all do the same
thing.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/