Renaming an element - getting a value without tags

From: Jule Kleine <listmail@web.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:53:08 +0200
To: www-ql@w3.org

Hi,

I would like to use xquery to rename an element:

<text>
  <old>value</old>
</text>

should then be:

<text>
  <new>value</new>
</text>

-----

My XQuery is:

for $text in doc("sample.xml")/text

let $value := $text/old
let $outputValue := <new>{$value}</new>

return
(
<text>
   {$outputValue}
</text>
)

What I get is:

<text>
	<new>
		<old>value</old>
	</new>
</text>

Is there any chance to get $value without it's start and endtag ?
As far as I know I cannot get the text of an element with xpath, right ? So is there a way to solve it in xquery ?
I was experimenting with different forms of {$value} and $value and was searching in all examples I could get but couldnt solve the problem, I hope you know some help....

Thank you
Jule