Re: early version of the XML Query Test Suite

From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 23:54:39 -0700
To: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
CC: www-ql@w3.org

Liam Quin wrote:
> So the test cases aren't written in the eXtreme or agile programming
> sense of identifying bugs,

I'm sure you'd agree that a regression testsuite is essential for any
serious program development (at least of a programming langauge
implementation), not just "eXtreme or agile programming".

> but rather to give coverage of the
> specification, and this different goal leads to a different approach.

Right.  However, since implementors *will* need their own regression
test suites, it would make things easier if we could have a framework
for multiple purposes.  Implementing and maintaining multiple testing
frameworks is possible (and probably not very difficult), but it does
add an extra management burden and needless complexity.
--
	--Per Bothner