RE: default namespace in constructed element

No, it shouldn't change the namespace URI of element <a>. The element
selected within the {} is copied unchanged - that means it retains its
original name (both the local name and the namespace URI). In order to
achieve this, the system will probably need to generate an xmlns=""
namespace undeclaration when the result tree is serialized.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/