RE: Could XQuery replace the W3C DOM?

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:51:59 -0400
To: "Kay, Michael" <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Cc: eamon.otuathail@clipcode.com, www-ql@w3.org

DOM is already somewhat slow/heavyweight for certain purposes.   While I'm
sure a lot of good work will be done on query implementation and
optimization, it's not immediately clear that a query-based implementation
would in practice be more rather than less efficient compared to DOM.  Not
that it's a bad idea in principle, but performance is a significant
barrier to adoption of XML for purposes such as SOAP, and we do need to
pay more attention to performance as APIs evolve, IMO.  Thanks

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142