RE: Could XQuery replace the W3C DOM?

XSLT has been available as a higher-level XML processing language for nearly
three years. It doesn't totally replace the DOM, because there is probably a
need for lower-level interfaces as well, but it certainly enables most XML
applications to be written without using the DOM.

As a DOM-replacement, I don't think XQuery offers anything that XSLT
doesn't. It may have language features that some users prefer, but it's
functionally equivalent.

Michael Kay