RE: Variable Declaration in Query Prolog

>At 02:02 PM 2/6/2002 -0800, Michael Rys wrote:
>>Function libraries do not need set of variables to be passed. Function
>>libraries provide functions that have parameters.

agree and theoretically isn't a good practice for functions to rely on
global variables for good reusuability. However, from the grammar,
we can't pass in Query Prolog components like schema/namespace
declaration as function parameters; quite the contrary, function definitions
are always encapsulated within a Query Prolog, wouldn't that
make functions less reusable say for a different set of schemas
or namespaces ? I need time to further think on this.

>Here is one example: I wrote a function library for querying RDF. Almost
>every function in that library needed to be able to reference a common set
>of assertions. I had to pass the assertions into every function as a
>parameter, but first I had to normalize them, so referring to the source
>was not appropriate.

Hi Jonathan, you really lost me there, what do you mean exactly by
passing assertions into functions as parameter ? We can only pass
variable and at best a typed variable right ?

Kuan Hui