Re: [ANNOUNCE] QuiP: Software AG's XQuery Prototype

At 04:29 AM 7/12/2001 -0400, Svgdeveloper@aol.com wrote:
>However,
>as I mentioned in my previous email there were questions sitting on the
>support forum without a support response after five days. Perhaps I will be
>luckier.

Hi Andrew,

I looked through the messages on the support forum and found one message
that sat for five days, but that was before the forum was publicly
announced, and the question was not related to QuiP. There are other
messages that were replied to two days later - in general we try to do
better, but this is, after all, free software, and we don't make any
specific guarantees for response time.

>I realise that I should probably not have begun to explore Quip late in the
>evening while my time was particularly pressurised. Somehow everything seems
>non-obvious when you are tired or busy. A tutorial or a *working* (or do I
>mean worked?) example would have been a huge help. And I suspect it would be
>for others who come new to Quip. Can I suggest you encourage colleagues to
>provide that?

I believe there are over 70 example queries in the distribution you
downloaded, queries that operate on on about 14 sample XML files. The
Shakespeare examples have to be loaded into a Tamino database before they
work, but the rest of them work out of the box.

Just hit the "open" button on the GUI, and you will see a list of queries.
Pick any of the non-Shakespeare queries for starters. If you want to do the
Shakespeare queries, you will have to download Tamino and install the .xml
in a database first - or modify the queries, but they do run slowly on
plain text files, without indexing.

Jonathan