RE: Concern: XQuery <> valid XML

From: Jonathan Robie <Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:18:39 -0500
To: Jeff Chapman <Jeff.Chapman@pervasive.com>, www-ql@w3.org
At 03:24 PM 2/28/2001 -0600, Jeff Chapman wrote:
>Frankly, when I first read through the FLWR discussion in the Draft, it took
>fully a day before I realized that it wasn't effectively a Macro language
>that would be converted to valid XML later--perhaps with some sort of
>preprocessor.  Is it possible to have our cake and eat it too?  This might
>mean implementing XQuery in valid XML syntax and defining a preprocessor
>that would convert FLWR expressions to the equivalent valid XML

I have an XQuery parser that does create such an XML representation. This
is a very reasonable approach.

These are my opinions right now. They may be quite different from the
opinions of Software AG, the W3C XML Query Working Group, or the opinions
that I will have after reading and considering your response.