RE: [www-ql] <none>

From: Ingo Macherius <macherius@darmstadt.gmd.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:28:05 +0100
To: <www-ql@w3.org>
> From: www-ql-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ql-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of
> Jonathan Robie

> First, our requirements document says that we have to produce an XML
> representation. I would like to see this be semantically identical to the
> XQuery representation, so that one could automatically be
> converted to the  other. Using that approach, they would not be two
different
> languages, but > two different syntaxes for the same language.

I'm a bit confused. FLWR-XQuery is syntactic shugar for XML Algebra. And of
course any other syntax for XML Query is just that, too. Thus semantic
identity MUST be always given when transforming FLWR-XQuery to XML Query
Algebra expressions and from there to another syntax. There can not be more
power in XQuery or any other syntax then there is in the Algebra. I hope I
got this right ?

The suggestion raised earlier in this thread to view FLWR-XQuery as a "macro
language" for the XMLified Query syntax is promising. In fact FLWR-XQuery
has to be mapped to Algebra at some point anyway, so why not use XML as a
syntax for this ?

	++im