XQuery and Updates

From: Andreas Wolber <wolber@rumms.uni-mannheim.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:28:20 +0100
To: <www-ql@w3.org>
I've read the XQuery Draft and missed very much the Update Topic.
There are statements in the draft, that this is a working topic and might
result in a non-normative appendix to the draft.
I consider the possibility for updates one of the biggest topics for a broad
success of XQuery, as this feature would add a real value to the
possibilities already offered by XSLT-like processors.

In fact, this is something hardly any XML repository does provide today, and
those who do, like Excelon, have quite proprietary solutions.
In my opinion, XML database only make real sense when providing a powerfull
update language, so that users do no longer need to retrieve the whole
document form the DB, but can send a powerfull update statement to the
database, as in SQL. Retrieving the whole document or using a persistent-DOM
interfiace is especially no solutions when client-server architectures with
several distributed application server is involved, as in most Java/J2EE
scenarios.

So my questions is, whether there any first concepts for an update language.
How realistic is the hope, that XML Updates will actually be part of the
final XQuery specification?

Regards,
  Andreas Wolber